Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Curried Butternut Squash Soup

About 8 years ago, Steve and I attended a party where I had the best soup EVER. I loved it, so of course I asked the recipe. The hostess would not share the recipe, so I was quite disappointed. (Surprised as well, since we didn't have the same "group" of friends...we'd never bring it to the same party)



Since then, I have tried several renditions, none of which measured up to the wonderful original. Well....I think I've found it.



Curried Butternut Squash Bisque

1 whole butternut squash
2 T butter
1 c onion, chopped
1/2 c carrot, chopped
1/2 c apple, peeled and chopped
1 1/2-2 t Thai red curry paste
2 cans chicken or vegetable broth, plus more if needed for desired consistency.
2 bay leaves

1/2 c heavy cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 375. Cut squash in half, scooping out seeds and membrane. Place in a 13x9 pan coated with cooking spray, cut side down. Roast in oven for about an hour, until tender. Scoop out roasted squash and measure 3 cups. Reserve rest for another use.

Melt butter in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, and apple; sauté 5 minutes. Add curry paste; stir 2 minutes. Add chicken broth, bay leaves, and 3 cups squash. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered 1 hour. Discard bay leaves. Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Return to same pot. Stir in cream if bisque desired, but skip if you'd just like more traditional soup. Season with salt and pepper. Rewarm over medium-high heat.

Garnish with sour cream and cilantro if desired. (I do not)

No comments: