Friday, October 2, 2009

Month Two











It's hard to believe that we've already been at this for two months. There is still much deschooling to be done, but at least Sarah is no longer asking for recess. I am pleased with the progress she is making on most days, especially in math and history. For someone who despises math as I do, it's interesting for me to see her favoring these subjects.

We have been working on our study of mammals in general, and then we will move on to study of a few different mammals to compare and contrast. Of course, we'll need to get into the internal organs and how the body works, which should be way cool. As a part of this study, she will be using the computer to write a book, and she will illustrate it after we print out the pages. Hopefully this will not be too frustrating for either of us to handle. I have my doubts!

In our history study we've finished the Early Period in Egypt as well as early India and China. We start with Africa next week and there will be an African Feast, which should be good. I hope. Well, I hope that we don't have to order pizza, anyway. Steve will actually be home for that one, so we'll probably make it a party with instruments and all.


We continue to do as many field trips as we can handle, hiking and observing at parks, mostly. There's always COSI, where we went again today, for rainy days. The zoo hasn't happened lately, but that will be good for the mammal study pretty soon.

Sarah has been very good about her chores as well, and is actually loving her new level of responsibility. Most likely, I will be adding another chore once she is used to her current routine. Any ideas? Her current load is: making her bed daily, taking care of the cat, cleaning the bathroom on the main floor once a week. Cleaning her room hasn't stuck, and it's hard for me to enforce because my room's not clean either. Never has been...never will be....but I digress.

1 comment:

1ofsix said...

cat? i miss you! sounds like things are going great!